Ran on TM -
3.8 miles/30 mins
Cardio & Core interval class -
Ran on TM -
5.2 miles/43 mins
Today I wanted to get a longer workout with some strength training in so I hit up the gym early before an 8am interval/weights class.
Getting there early before a class means you can set up your area (if the gym allows it) before it gets really crowded. At this particular 24 Hour Fitness location, it’s the first class of the day so they don’t mind. I asked just to make sure… Didn’t want to get kicked out for something as supernerdy as being 40 minutes early.
Before class I ran for 30 mins/3.8 miles and my average heart rate was 153 bpm, excluding the spikes when I saw David Beckham in a commercial.
Then I took the class, but the teacher was late so it ended up being a little less than 50 minutes. Still a great workout though – my heart averaged 138 bpm. BTW, I really like using a heart rate monitor for exercise classes or different workouts besides running. It just gives you a little more information about how hard/easy you’re working and your level of exertion.
Afterwards I got on the treadmill again and ran a slower 5.2 miles/43 mins to make 9 miles for the day; my hr was 158. They say strength training elevates your heart rate for hours afterwards, but I never really paid much attention until I started using my hrm more. I tend to not pay attention to much beyond celebrity gossip.
When I’m doing a longer workout at the gym like today, this is all the crap that I bring, basically everything I own I move into the gym locker room:
1. 26.2 Apparel shorts – these are actually the only workout shorts that I own any more. They fit like Nike Tempos but are cut a little less “saggy butt” (mine are size small). I like to wear shorts while running so I wore these for the first 30 minute run.
2. Stella McCartney for Adidas tank top; I love the lacey looking edge on it. I can’t find the exact top online, but above is a link to her latest stuff with Adidas.
3. Big Bling BIC Band – if I’m going to be sweatfesting it in a gym, I like to have a headband to keep all the baby (ok, broken, damaged and bleached) hairs out of my face.
4. Garmin 405 with heart rate monitor. LOVE. End of story.
After my 30 minute run I quick changed into dry clothes: I prefer wearing capris over shorts in classes. Gotta keep the flashing reserved for mobs. I also refueled with an energy bar and filled up my water bottle.
5. Old Navy tank top – it’s on sale right now for $15 but I wish I would have bought it in the other two colors when it was only $10. Mine is a medium.
6. Nike running capri – I’ve had these for years, a solid black capri, nothing fancy but not an outrageous price either.
7. Mizuno Wave Rider 14s – I probably should have done the class in other shoes because I try to keep my running shoes for only running to extend the life of them, but I had to draw the line somewhere when I dragged in two suitcases and three duffel bags full of stuff this morning.
I also try to bring an energy bar to eat in between if I feel like I need it, a towel, and water. If I’m going to be sweating a lot, like today, I’ll either mix in Gatorade, Powerade or Nuun in my water. Today was Perrier-Jouet Nuun.
The lemon Luna bars are not my favorite; I like the S’mores and chocolate flavors better, but a box of 6 was on sale for $1.99 at the grocery store. Heck, for that price, I’ll write ‘em in my will.
And that is the story of how I became a hoarder and have way too much crap.